Only Real Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Only Real Rock

Classic Rock

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OT: Home Improvement

Go down 
+5
Mindy
greg
iRockJava
Goddess
AR
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AR

AR

OT:  Home Improvement Empty
PostSubject: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:26 am

Freaking maniac salesman quoted my wife and I $3000 for a new front door. Thanks, but no thanks. Home Depot and Lowes have doors for a couple of hundred bucks. While I realize there may be some energy savings in a more expensive door - anything over 1K seems ridiculous.

Home improvement blows. Look at this list of things I am going to have done in the next few months:

-new front door and storm door
-new backyard fence
-replace deck with new one or patio
-new heat pump
-new washer & dryer
-landscaping

I refuse to do any of it myself as I am much too important and my time is valuable. Plus, I'd do a half assed job anyway. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Goddess
Admin
Goddess

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:30 am

AR wrote:
Freaking maniac salesman quoted my wife and I $3000 for a new front door. Thanks, but no thanks. Home Depot and Lowes have doors for a couple of hundred bucks. While I realize there may be some energy savings in a more expensive door - anything over 1K seems ridiculous.

Home improvement blows. Look at this list of things I am going to have done in the next few months:

-new front door and storm door
-new backyard fence
-replace deck with new one or patio
-new heat pump
-new washer & dryer
-landscaping

I refuse to do any of it myself as I am much too important and my time is valuable. Plus, I'd do a half assed job anyway. Surprised
I need a new door - but $3,000 !!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.onlyrealrock.com
iRockJava

iRockJava

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 am

i'm looking at a new kitchen in the next couple of months. got quoted a semi decent price. going to look at the cabinets tomorrow. Smile
Back to top Go down
greg

greg

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 am

The only way I would pay $3,000 for a new front door is if I can afford to live in a million dollar home!
Back to top Go down
Mindy

Mindy

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 11:33 am

Crazy how much home improvement stuff costs. I'm lucky in the fact that my husband was a carpenter before he got on the fire department, so he can install all that stuff (when the mood strikes Rolling Eyes Laughing ). Still just the cost of materials can kill ya.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/perrygood
belar

belar

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:07 pm

No freaking way should anyone ever pay $3000 for a door.
Back to top Go down
Rocker Chic

Rocker Chic

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:12 pm

I did major renovations to my house when we bought it, which included replacing 2 entry/storm doors. Since all the work/products were all grouped into one price, I can't quote how much it would have cost to install just the doors. But I can offer one word of advice...

It's best if you install fiberglass entry doors instead of solid wood (oak) or metal. They do not rust/dent, rarely chip, and do not swell/rot due to weather conditions. We have Feather River doors installed in our house: Feather River Door Company . I believe the contractor got these from Home Depot's regular stock.

Also, word to the wise with these type of big box home improvement retailer chains... Try to stick to items that are in stock. They somehow always get the order wrong, deliver the items damaged or flawed, and can end up being a bitch to deal with.

Debbie
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm getting ready to put new tile in my kitchen, back entry, and hall. Then we need to stain the wooden part of the exterior of the house and the deck.

I'm also thinking about getting a new front door. I need a new storm door, but I'd like to also get a new entry door. I don't have to worry much about weather damage because there's a porch protecting it, but the tip about the fiberglass sounds interesting.

Luckily my husband and I have both done our own home repairs so we don't have to worry about labor costs.
Back to top Go down
Rocker Chic

Rocker Chic

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:50 pm

ohsherrie wrote:
I'm getting ready to put new tile in my kitchen, back entry, and hall. Then we need to stain the wooden part of the exterior of the house and the deck.

I'm also thinking about getting a new front door. I need a new storm door, but I'd like to also get a new entry door. I don't have to worry much about weather damage because there's a porch protecting it, but the tip about the fiberglass sounds interesting.

Luckily my husband and I have both done our own home repairs so we don't have to worry about labor costs.

Even though it won't be exposed directly to rain/snow/ice, it will still suffer the effects of humidity in the air, both hot and cold. Many fiberglass doors also come with a woodgrain look (and different colors) if you are partial to the wood look.

As for tile in high traffic areas, always stick with porcelain. The color goes all the way through the tile, so they hold up better to wear and chipping. Ceramic is fine for a bathroom.

Told ya we did the whole house! Laughing

Debbie
And, yes, the electric drill, sander, and saw are mine, not my husband's! What a Face
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm actually looking at the some laminate flooring rather than actual tile. The word tile just seems to be a catchall for anything that isn't wood or carpet.
Back to top Go down
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 3:01 pm

3 grand for a door?
That's a load and heap of bull sheet if ya ask me Sir.

ohsherrie I don't know if this would suit you for your needs but we
have this in the kitchen and living room, Hubby Bub put it in just before
Christmas and so far it's fantastic for us.

OT:  Home Improvement Laminate_flooring1
Back to top Go down
greg

greg

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 3:11 pm

ohsherrie wrote:
I'm actually looking at the some laminate flooring rather than actual tile. The word tile just seems to be a catchall for anything that isn't wood or carpet.

The wood laminate rocks Sherrie! The only thing with my wood laminate is that you don't want to leave an excess amount of water on it for a long period of time (since it will bubble up.) Other than that, it's great!
Back to top Go down
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 3:31 pm

We placed a big area rug at the front door where the flooring would get
wet from muddy boots and such.
I probably should have mentioned that huh?
Thanks for reminding me greg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Home Improvement   OT:  Home Improvement Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Home Improvement
Page 1 of 1