Only Real Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Only Real Rock

Classic Rock

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A simple prayer request

Go down 
+7
iRockJava
Jesus
Virginia sniper
playitloudforme
Manarocks
Goddess
GOD
11 posters
AuthorMessage
GOD
Admin
GOD

A simple prayer request Empty
PostSubject: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 2:02 pm

On Wednesday evening, we were informed that the father of one of the 10 year old boys on my son's tournament team had collapsed at work earlier that day. On Thursday evening, we got the most grim news possible for the family. Mike is on a ventilator and the hospital was preparing to do tests to see if there was any brain function at all. I haven't yet received an update today but I will take a "no change" update although I'm hoping for any signs of improvement. I have umpired with Mike and our two boys are good buddies so this one stings. I'm asking you all to keep good thoughts for the family and pray that a 10 year old doesn't have to grow up fatherless. Mike is a great guy who never misses anything that his son Doug does. very devoted to his kids. The tournament team is taking donations to get the family gift cards to restaurants because anyone who has ever had a family member in the hospital for an extended period will attest, it becomes real expensive real fast buying meals every night while keeping vigil over an ailing loved one. Anyone interested, let me know. Not asking, as much as just tossing out the information at hand.
Back to top Go down
Goddess
Admin
Goddess

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 2:05 pm

GOD wrote:
On Wednesday evening, we were informed that the father of one of the 10 year old boys on my son's tournament team had collapsed at work earlier that day. On Thursday evening, we got the most grim news possible for the family. Mike is on a ventilator and the hospital was preparing to do tests to see if there was any brain function at all. I haven't yet received an update today but I will take a "no change" update although I'm hoping for any signs of improvement. I have umpired with Mike and our two boys are good buddies so this one stings. I'm asking you all to keep good thoughts for the family and pray that a 10 year old doesn't have to grow up fatherless. Mike is a great guy who never misses anything that his son Doug does. very devoted to his kids. The tournament team is taking donations to get the family gift cards to restaurants because anyone who has ever had a family member in the hospital for an extended period will attest, it becomes real expensive real fast buying meals every night while keeping vigil over an ailing loved one. Anyone interested, let me know. Not asking, as much as just tossing out the information at hand.

You got my prayers
Back to top Go down
http://www.onlyrealrock.com
Manarocks

Manarocks

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 pm

As a father of 3 daughters my prayers are with the family.
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 4:09 pm

Just received today's update. There is no change. Not the best news but not the worst news either. The brain function tests were done due to Mike's "down" time from when the heart attack happened until definitive medical care was started (meaning CPR and defibrillation) Yet another reason for all people to be trained in CPR and all employers mandated to have AED units in the business readily available for immediate use.

Sorry, off the soapbox. Just pisses me off that more and more people have adopted the "I'm not getting involved" attitude. You would think co-workers would care enough about each other to at least TRY and do something.
Back to top Go down
playitloudforme

playitloudforme

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 8:34 pm

Prayers from the West Coast going out.
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 8:32 am

Thought as prayers to the family as well as little Doug.
Back to top Go down
Jesus

Jesus

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 2:19 pm

My prayers go out to Dougie's family as well as Mike.
Dad, please let them know that I'm thinking about them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mcrlove3
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Today's update is a grim one. The EEG test for brain function showed no activity whatsoever. They were going to do a repeat test today but already advised the family if it is still showing no brain function they are going to need to be prepared to make the most difficult decision possible. Do they leave him on a ventilator forever or unhook him and let him go. I don't ever want to be placed in that position because either choice truly sucks. In either case Mike is gone and that is the cold hard fact.
Back to top Go down
iRockJava

iRockJava

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 11:25 pm

so sorry for this sudden and tragic loss. from the way you have spoken of mike it does seem that there will be many friends who will be there for his family at this difficult time and in the future.

may god bring you all peace and may mike's memory always be with you.
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 8:00 am

GOD wrote:
Today's update is a grim one. The EEG test for brain function showed no activity whatsoever. They were going to do a repeat test today but already advised the family if it is still showing no brain function they are going to need to be prepared to make the most difficult decision possible. Do they leave him on a ventilator forever or unhook him and let him go. I don't ever want to be placed in that position because either choice truly sucks. In either case Mike is gone and that is the cold hard fact.

Jeff- please know that your internet family are sharing our thoughts and prayers with you as well as Mike and his family.
We are never prepared for the tragic events placed before us but God will not put more before us than we can handle.
Back to top Go down
BigDog

BigDog

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Our prayers are with you also.
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 2:04 pm

I'm so sorry for your friend and his family Jeff. I agree that more people need to be trained in CPR, and having had a grandson in little league I also think it would be a wise idea to have a requirement that a trained EMT or other first response trained person be present at all sporting events involving non-pro athletes.
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 5:02 pm

Sherrie,

I agree wholeheartedly on the EMT at the sporting events but in Mike's case this occurred at his place of employment. I wouldn't even want to think about something like this happening to one of our umpire/fathers DURING a game. I don't even want to try and consider the emotional damage to a field full of children.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. They are deeply appreciated and know that I think the world of you guys.
Back to top Go down
Liam The Pariah

Liam The Pariah

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm sorry to hear about this, bro. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family as well.

This sounds all too familiar with what happened to my best friend in September, so I feel your pain, man.

"Suddenly you were gone...from all the lives you left your mark upon" - Rush
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/annexrox
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 10:37 pm

EEG's still showing no brain activity. The family is really struggling with the decision of whether or not to "unplug" Mike. I can't say that I'd be real quick on making that choice either and to be perfectly honest, I hope I am NEVER placed in that situation. His wife is afraid to leave the hospital for fear that something will happen while she's not there. I can understand this to some extent. What if he passed while she was away from him and she never got to say goodbye, or on the more hopeful of options what if he suddenly woke up and noone was there. We have been helping out Doug by keeping him going to the tournament games and making sure he gets plenty of playing time so he HAS to think about something else. This whole situation is way to much for a 10 year old to have to deal with.
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 pm

I was informed at tonight's game that Mike passed away sometime Monday night. Not sure if the family took him off the ventilator or if his body just gave up. That's all I got. Not much more to be said. Just kind of depressing to think about really. We weren't the best of friends but I knew Mike well enough for it to bother me. We shared a common affection though, and that was to watch our boys play baseball and be involved as much as possible and that to me speaks volumes about the man.
Back to top Go down
iRockJava

iRockJava

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:38 pm

i'm so sorry jeff. my thoughts are with all affected by this sudden loss.
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 7:12 pm

Really sorry to here this news man.
Back to top Go down
Mindy

Mindy

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 9:07 am

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/perrygood
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A simple prayer request   A simple prayer request Empty

Back to top Go down

A simple prayer request
Page 1 of 1