Only Real Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Only Real Rock

Classic Rock

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What's the difference?

Go down 
+4
AR
BigDog
nolliD JJ
GOD
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GOD
Admin
GOD

What's the difference? Empty
PostSubject: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 11:41 am

Anybody able to explain the difference between being a singer in a rock and roll band and being a "frontman" Just seems that those two items get inner mixed and they really are two entirely different things.

Discuss:
Back to top Go down
nolliD JJ

nolliD JJ

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:07 pm

This is all subjective, but I'll give it a shot.

Being a singer in a rock band doesn't necessarily make one a "frontman". A singer, by them self, could "blend-in" with the rest of the band members, and not necessarily "stand-out", in terms of showmanship. (Jon Anderson of Yes, comes to mind, but that might not be the best example).

On the other hand, a frontman might not necessarily be a singer. Case in point, Angus Young, with AC/DC. He's kind of like "the-show", when it comes to them.

In many cases, the lead singer and the "frontman" are one in the same (David Lee Roth, for example, although Eddie may disagree).

I listen to a lot of jazz and other music, that doesn't necessarily have vocals (or "lead" vocals). In that case, the frontman is usually the one who talks to the crowd in between songs, and introduces the various musicians.

OK. That was my two cents. I'm sure I'll think of some other stuff, later.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rafferty4
BigDog

BigDog

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:14 pm

In my opinion, the singer in a band does just that, sing. The frontman is the guy who does the majority of talking for the band. The Mouthpiece I guess would be another name for it.
Back to top Go down
AR

AR

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Frontman = adds something more to the show than just vocals. Entertaining to watch as well as listen to.

Singer = Go to your nearest karoake bar. Film it. You might get a job in a washed up rock band.
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Yeah, I never saw that one coming Ed. Laughing

I suppose I could go to work for Home Depot and get noticed as well if I am a singer.
Back to top Go down
playitloudforme

playitloudforme

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Frontman to me instantly conjures up visions of the band. Freddy Mercury = Queen. Geoff Tate = Queensryche. Stephen Tyler = Aerosmith.

As opposed to singers in a band, who 'share the duties', but don't necessarily lead the path for the band.
Back to top Go down
shameless1

shameless1

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyFri May 30, 2008 9:19 pm

playitloudforme wrote:
Frontman to me instantly conjures up visions of the band. Freddy Mercury = Queen. Geoff Tate = Queensryche. Stephen Tyler = Aerosmith.

As opposed to singers in a band, who 'share the duties', but don't necessarily lead the path for the band.

Kate, you forgot... Steve Perry = Journey.

Just helping you out there, sista! queen
Back to top Go down
playitloudforme

playitloudforme

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyFri May 30, 2008 11:17 pm

shameless1 wrote:
playitloudforme wrote:

Kate, you forgot... Steve Perry = Journey.

Just helping you out there, sista! queen

I didn't want to sound preachy. We all know that if there was ever a frontman...it's Perry.
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyFri May 30, 2008 11:23 pm

While I will agree that Perry was one of the best, I must say with all conviction and honesty that even the mighty Perry could NOT hold a candle to the abilities of Freddy Mercury in his heyday. Freddy could take an audience anywhere he wanted during a show. One of the MOST talented singers and overall frontmen/showmen I have EVER had the pleasure to have seen live.
Back to top Go down
playitloudforme

playitloudforme

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptySat May 31, 2008 1:49 am

GOD wrote:
While I will agree that Perry was one of the best, I must say with all conviction and honesty that even the mighty Perry could NOT hold a candle to the abilities of Freddy Mercury in his heyday. Freddy could take an audience anywhere he wanted during a show. One of the MOST talented singers and overall frontmen/showmen I have EVER had the pleasure to have seen live.

I wish I could have seen Queen back then.

Perry still rules, tho God... he does.
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptySat May 31, 2008 4:25 pm

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Glenn Frye and Don Henley sang in a rock n' roll band.

Stephen Perry, Steven Tyler, and Mick Jagger are frontmen.

The lead singer in the band is the guy in the band who sings the melody of the song while the others harmonize.

The frontman stands out front, engages the audience, holds the spotlight and always sings lead unless it's a novelty song to placate another ego in the band.
Back to top Go down
greg

greg

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 4:16 pm

A singer in a rock band can be replaced. A front man is, often, THE band. Fortunately for bands like Van Halen, they were blessed with two front men, although DLR was the better "frontman" while Hagar was the better singer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's the difference?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Only Real Rock :: Classic Rock :: General Discussion-
Jump to: