Only Real Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Only Real Rock

Classic Rock

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front Page Article

Go down 
+2
Goddess
shameless1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
shameless1

shameless1

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptyThu May 29, 2008 11:07 pm

Just read the article on the front page discussing the new Journey album and Jon Cain's comments about it. I'm curious as to how people feel about the writer's comments. I personally happen to agree, and do not look forward to this album. I'm expecting a half-hearted, lackluster attempt on their part.

Whatdya think folks?
Back to top Go down
Goddess
Admin
Goddess

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptyFri May 30, 2008 7:51 am

shameless1 wrote:
Just read the article on the front page discussing the new Journey album and Jon Cain's comments about it. I'm curious as to how people feel about the writer's comments. I personally happen to agree, and do not look forward to this album. I'm expecting a half-hearted, lackluster attempt on their part.

Whatdya think folks?

sounds very good to me - and makes a lot of sense
Back to top Go down
http://www.onlyrealrock.com
iRockJava

iRockJava

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptyFri May 30, 2008 9:28 am

first, i don't think you can possibly compare the eagles' walmart deal with journey's. first, they are all original members. second, their last cd of only new music was 1979's the long run. there were live cd's, and gh compilations in between. so their cd was much anticipated. journey has overtoured since 1998, thus creating a lack of demand. they did nothing to market arrival (yeah they blamed sony, but they could have done something). red 13, love it or hate it, was only available on their website and not promoted there at all, and generations, rather than be given out at select shows, was given out at EVERY show and then expected to sell when it hit the stores in October, at the end of the tour. bryan adams has a deal with walmart for his new cd "11". he went on an acoustic tour to showcase it. then did walmart signings to go along with the release. but his cd is also available on itunes, which i where i purchased it from.

now, with respect to cain's "decent" comment. i think it highlights that they are creatively barren. neal and jon just can't do it without help. they are not amazing songwriters, they are "decent". also, i think is shows what little regard they have for their fans. they take us for granted by thinking that "decent" is all we are looking for. add that to the bullshit over the last two years, and for this journey fan, that equals zero desire to own the cd.

i'm sticking to my story that arnel was hired because he brings in an entirely new fan base with lots of money to spend.

on a side note: friends of mine are going to the 8/14 show at jones beach. they bought tickets last week in the orchestra section for $90 each. In 2006, you could not touch orchestra seats once they went on sale. granted, def was the draw on that tour, but if journey is so awesome and back in the limelight, why aren't they the draw now!??!?!??!

nah, i'll pass and instead enjoy my first motley crue show and firefest v.
Back to top Go down
shameless1

shameless1

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptyFri May 30, 2008 9:20 pm

iRockJava wrote:

now, with respect to cain's "decent" comment. i think it highlights that they are creatively barren. neal and jon just can't do it without help. they are not amazing songwriters, they are "decent". also, i think is shows what little regard they have for their fans. they take us for granted by thinking that "decent" is all we are looking for. add that to the bullshit over the last two years, and for this journey fan, that equals zero desire to own the cd.

Excellent post, Maria!!! I 1000% agree!!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptyFri May 30, 2008 11:19 pm

I guess the point about Walmart was misunderstood. To clarify it for you. I was referring to the ability of Walmart with it's market share to produce for Journey a double platinum in the same way the Eagles album just did. Was not even a thought given to the whole "who's got their original lineup" assertion.

And just for the record, the Eagles are also missing one of the original guitarists. He just put out a tell all book about just how much animosity there is among the band members.

So it would seem that neither band is 100% intact which kills the "original lineup" thing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ms. M

Ms. M

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptyFri May 30, 2008 11:59 pm

iRockJava wrote:
first, i don't think you can possibly compare the eagles' walmart deal with journey's. first, they are all original members. second, their last cd of only new music was 1979's the long run. there were live cd's, and gh compilations in between. so their cd was much anticipated. journey has overtoured since 1998, thus creating a lack of demand. they did nothing to market arrival (yeah they blamed sony, but they could have done something). red 13, love it or hate it, was only available on their website and not promoted there at all, and generations, rather than be given out at select shows, was given out at EVERY show and then expected to sell when it hit the stores in October, at the end of the tour. bryan adams has a deal with walmart for his new cd "11". he went on an acoustic tour to showcase it. then did walmart signings to go along with the release. but his cd is also available on itunes, which i where i purchased it from.

i'm sticking to my story that arnel was hired because he brings in an entirely new fan base with lots of money to spend.

on a side note: friends of mine are going to the 8/14 show at jones beach. they bought tickets last week in the orchestra section for $90 each. In 2006, you could not touch orchestra seats once they went on sale. granted, def was the draw on that tour, but if journey is so awesome and back in the limelight, why aren't they the draw now!??!?!??!

nah, i'll pass and instead enjoy my first motley crue show and firefest v.

Very well said. I think they are definitely taking fans for granted. That is not a good path to go down. No
Back to top Go down
iRockJava

iRockJava

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptySat May 31, 2008 11:31 am

GOD wrote:
I guess the point about Walmart was misunderstood. To clarify it for you. I was referring to the ability of Walmart with it's market share to produce for Journey a double platinum in the same way the Eagles album just did. Was not even a thought given to the whole "who's got their original lineup" assertion.

And just for the record, the Eagles are also missing one of the original guitarists. He just put out a tell all book about just how much animosity there is among the band members.

So it would seem that neither band is 100% intact which kills the "original lineup" thing. Very Happy

you are correct GOD and when i typed it i knew it was not the original lineup, but they are also not on the umpteenth guitar player in as many years. as for the animosity, on the 60 minutes special glenn frye and don henley spoke openly about it and the body language was unbelieveable. but that didn't stop them from putting out a great record and touring behind it. in addition the eagles promoted their new cd on a revamped website that played the new songs, showed the new cd and told about the upcoming tour. the eagles, in my opinion, assisted in that double platinum, they didn't just sign on the dotted line and let walmart do the rest. and i don't think doing ellen is a boost, they played separate ways, and allowed the new song to be cut, and did not give the audience the new cd which could have been played for friends and family a week in advance and who knows what sales and buzz would have been generated. maybe none, but maybe enought that people would run out and buy it. it's a crapshoot and in journey's position they should have "rolled the dice".

i don't shop in walmart so i can't tell you how it will be promoted there. but, again, they cannot just rely on walmart to market themselves. when i called a friend over at one of the local classic rock stations, he had not received the single. he suggested that perhaps closer to the concert they would have it. now that makes no sense to me, when orchestra seats are available for your august show. but hey i am not a marketing genius. i sense that the markets that got the singles have a clear demographic that the band is targeting.

again, i will not be spending one dime on journey ever again.......unless they, like the eagles, can put it aside and bring perry back for that one great show.
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptySat May 31, 2008 4:17 pm

iRockJava wrote:
i will not be spending one dime on journey ever again.......unless they, like the eagles, can put it aside and bring perry back for that one great show.

That says it all for me.
Back to top Go down
shameless1

shameless1

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 12:14 pm

ohsherrie wrote:
iRockJava wrote:
i will not be spending one dime on journey ever again.......unless they, like the eagles, can put it aside and bring perry back for that one great show.

That says it all for me.

Me too, but I would venture a guess that Neal's recent "fuck him" comment probably nailed the final nail in that coffin. What a dumbass!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 12:42 pm

shameless1 wrote:
ohsherrie wrote:
iRockJava wrote:

That says it all for me.

Me too, but I would venture a guess that Neal's recent "fuck him" comment probably nailed the final nail in that coffin. What a dumbass!!! Mad

When and where did old "hoof 'n mouth" say something that stupid.
Back to top Go down
shameless1

shameless1

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 2:48 pm

ohsherrie wrote:
shameless1 wrote:
ohsherrie wrote:
iRockJava wrote:

That says it all for me.

OMG! I didn't know you haven't seen the SP interview. Here's the link:

http://men.style.com/gq/blogs/gqeditors/2008/05/foolish-foolish.html

It has a follow-up interview with Neal. After all the nice things SP has said about Neal in recent interviews, he simply had to end his follow-up in such a manner. What a schmuck!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Ms. M

Ms. M

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 10:35 pm

shameless1 wrote:
ohsherrie wrote:
iRockJava wrote:

That says it all for me.

I would say that is about par for the course with him, though.... jocolor
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 6:41 pm

shameless1 wrote:
ohsherrie wrote:
shameless1 wrote:
ohsherrie wrote:
iRockJava wrote:

That says it all for me.

OMG! I didn't know you haven't seen the SP interview. Here's the link:

http://men.style.com/gq/blogs/gqeditors/2008/05/foolish-foolish.html

It has a follow-up interview with Neal. After all the nice things SP has said about Neal in recent interviews, he simply had to end his follow-up in such a manner. What a schmuck!!! Evil or Very Mad

Thanks Donna, I read it even though it disgusted me. But then, I've known for years that Neal is a disgusting person.
Back to top Go down
shameless1

shameless1

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 8:36 pm

Yeah, he's a morally bankrupt person who has to trample on other people to make himself feel good. UGH! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front Page Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Page Article   Front Page Article Empty

Back to top Go down

Front Page Article
Page 1 of 1