Only Real Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Only Real Rock

Classic Rock

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The California-Psychedelic Era

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nolliD JJ

nolliD JJ

The California-Psychedelic Era Empty
PostSubject: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:52 pm

The Doors "opened-up-the-doors" for many of the bands and artists of this genre and time period.

Let's start off with one of the Door's (rather tame) big hits that I remember getting quite a bit of airplay in the sixties:

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rafferty4
Liam The Pariah

Liam The Pariah

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 11:03 pm

The Doors are probably my favorite band to come out of the 60's. LOVED "Strange Days". Every track on it is classic. Along with "Waiting For The Sun".

Edit: I must say that The Soft Parade was rather boring as a whole.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/annexrox
Goddess
Admin
Goddess

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 7:02 am

Kool Aid wrote:
The Doors are probably my favorite band to come out of the 60's. LOVED "Strange Days". Every track on it is classic. Along with "Waiting For The Sun".

I like the Doors too - but I'll tell you that I can't stand the Hammond B III sounds - that organ .. I hate it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.onlyrealrock.com

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 10:19 am

AdminMaster wrote:
Kool Aid wrote:

I like the Doors too - but I'll tell you that I can't stand the Hammond B III sounds - that organ .. I hate it.

oh gawd you are kidding - you must have no soul - the Hammond B III is the best ---

I don't remember the Doors using the B III at all ever - it was pure farfisa for them - very tinny sounding.

Cat
Back to top Go down
nolliD JJ

nolliD JJ

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 1:20 pm

I can't take it in every tune, but a nice B3, through a Leslie, can be a very effective sound (just ask Humble Pie, Stevie Windwood, Eric Clapton, and countless others). At one point there was only the Farfisa and the Hammond organs, and Wurlitzer and Fender-Rhodes electric pianos.

You have to remember that keyboards have come along way since then. I remember when the Moog synthesizer came out, but one had to be a "Rocket Scientist" in order to use it. Then there was the Melletron (basically a loop tape machine attached to a keyboard trigger), which is the way most groups (most notably, "Yes") got their string sounds.

What's weird is that the Doors very rarely used a bass player. Ray M. used a small keyboard to play the bass notes with his left hand (maybe a Fender "piano-bass"), but it always sounded like something was missing. They usually did use a bass player in the studio, when recording. Around the end, they got wise and usually had a bass player when they went on tour.
Back to top Go down
scarecrowsdream

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 8:50 pm

cat wrote:
AdminMaster wrote:
Kool Aid wrote:

oh gawd you are kidding - you must have no soul - the Hammond B III is the best ---

I don't remember the Doors using the B III at all ever - it was pure farfisa for them - very tinny sounding.

Cat

that was part of what made the doors sound like the doors.....one of my favorite bands ever Very Happy

hi cat! meowwwwwwwww....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 11:33 am

scarecrowsdream wrote:
cat wrote:
AdminMaster wrote:
Kool Aid wrote:

Cat

that was part of what made the doors sound like the doors.....one of my favorite bands ever Very Happy

hi cat! meowwwwwwwww....

Hey donna!!!!
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 1:14 pm

I liked the Doors but they were never one of my favorites. I was more into groups like Jefferson Airplane, the Moody Blues, Cream, etc.
Back to top Go down
scarecrowsdream

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 6:59 pm

ohsherrie wrote:
I liked the Doors but they were never one of my favorites. I was more into groups like Jefferson Airplane, the Moody Blues, Cream, etc.

loved them too!! saw the moody's last tear after many years of not seeing them live and they
were as awesome as they were back when i first saw them in the 70's....what a treat to see
an excellent band still at the top of their game after all these years... cheers
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 8:01 pm

scarecrowsdream wrote:
ohsherrie wrote:

loved them too!! saw the moody's last tear after many years of not seeing them live and they
were as awesome as they were back when i first saw them in the 70's....what a treat to see
an excellent band still at the top of their game after all these years... cheers

Wildest Dreams is one of my all time favorite songs. It was recorded in the '70s but one of the reasons I love it, besides sounding great, is because it's talking about the wild popularity of British Invasion bands in the '60s.

I love Knights in White Satin too and that was the '60s.
Back to top Go down
nolliD JJ

nolliD JJ

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era EmptySun May 04, 2008 10:52 pm

When you think of The California-Psychedelic Era you would also, have to include many others (including, but not limited to) such as Jefferson Airplane, Journey (albeit in the seventies), and Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham (also in the 70's).

If you look at the progression, it appears that the bands of the late sixties paved the way for each generation of bands that were to follow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The California-Psychedelic Era   The California-Psychedelic Era Empty

Back to top Go down

The California-Psychedelic Era
Page 1 of 1