Only Real Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Only Real Rock

Classic Rock

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?

Go down 
+10
nolliD JJ
Jrny1
Manarocks
Rocker Chic
journeywoman
Ms. M
Liam The Pariah
belar
Virginia sniper
GOD
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GOD
Admin
GOD

The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? Empty
PostSubject: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 2:56 pm

In my opinion, the 1980's were one of if not the best era for rock bands coming out with great music. Although to a certain degree, they were also starting to lean more towards a pop sound.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 3:02 pm

I would tend to agree for the early 80's. I would say the best part would have been mid 70's to early/mid 80's.
Back to top Go down
belar

belar

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 3:23 pm

I would have to agree. Many of the bands which formed in the 1970s put out some of their best material once the 1980s rolled around. Great decade for music, and so far, it was the last great decade for music.
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 3:26 pm

It was the last great decade for true rock music - we are now inundated with Rap, Hip Hop, Pop, and kiddie type music ala American Idol. Pure shit basically!
Back to top Go down
Liam The Pariah

Liam The Pariah

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 3:28 pm

I just wish grunge wouldn't have happened. It KILLED music...yet people still call it a "revolution" and compare it to the Brit Invasion. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/annexrox
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Liam wrote:
I just wish grunge wouldn't have happened. It KILLED music...yet people still call it a "revolution" and compare it to the Brit Invasion. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????

I would agree. I'd rather spear myself in the heart with a stringray than listen to that shit. affraid
Back to top Go down
Liam The Pariah

Liam The Pariah

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Steve wrote:
Liam wrote:

I would agree. I'd rather spear myself in the heart with a stringray than listen to that shit. affraid

Poor Steve Irwin. Laughing
Back to top Go down
belar

belar

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 4:17 pm

GOD wrote:
It was the last great decade for true rock music - we are now inundated with Rap, Hip Hop, Pop, and kiddie type music ala American Idol. Pure shit basically!

Exactly. Most of the shit that came out in the '90s is unlistenable. I just don't understand what is appealing about rap and hip-hop? It's not even music as far as I'm concerned. Does that make me a crotchety old guy?
Back to top Go down
Liam The Pariah

Liam The Pariah

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 4:19 pm

belar wrote:
GOD wrote:

Exactly. Most of the shit that came out in the '90s is unlistenable. I just don't understand what is appealing about rap and hip-hop? It's not even music as far as I'm concerned. Does that make me a crotchety old guy?

No...it makes you smart about MUSIC. (C)rap is NOT music. Notice how they have to sample rock band's music to create a "song" around it? YEA..THAT'S creative. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ms. M

Ms. M

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 7:30 pm

(C)rap sucks. Cool
Back to top Go down
journeywoman

journeywoman

PostSubject: Rap?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am

Rap Crap is what I usually call this shit.When I listen it is nothing there.Not even music,and I look how this style of music has made all these people wealthy beyond what they will ever spend. I blame companies like MTV and so on. For those that remember when MTV got it's start back in the 80's it was what it was a Music TV all day all night.Nothing but rock,and their sister station VH-1 played the more mellow rock.They were so demanded they made billions.Their slogan was I want my MTV,now turn on the old trustworthy tv and what do you get on the first MTV channel and Vh-1? It's stupid reality shows like next top model, the Hogan family and old frontman of a rockband looking for love?Dam Folks where's the music?Now let's not forget MTV has branched out they have numerous MTV's now and has anyone counted how many play rap? Try all, only 1 will play the classic rock, VH-1 Classic.Someone has forgot to tell the producers in New York......Rap is out,bring the rock music back that means something.Hoo-Rah!
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 am

You have to admit that (C)rap crossed into mainstream rock and roll when Aerosmith teamed with Run DMC with "Walk This Way". Although I personally did not like it, it remains today a crowd favorite at a "Smith" show.
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 am

hate to admit it but Run DMC was the ONLY rap group I ever liked. The did some really cool stuff. They were definitely the pioneers. Then it went to shit.
Back to top Go down
Rocker Chic

Rocker Chic

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:55 am

Virginia sniper wrote:
You have to admit that (C)rap crossed into mainstream rock and roll when Aerosmith teamed with Run DMC with "Walk This Way". Although I personally did not like it, it remains today a crowd favorite at a "Smith" show.

Heh, heh... I remember when this one was all over the radio. Was with my youngest sister one afternoon when it came on, so I mindlessly was singing along. My sister, who was a pop-princess, Menudo-lovin' teenager at the time, thought this was hysterical, since I've firmly been on the side of rock music and openly despised all else, and asked if I now liked rap. Suspect

I informed the youngin' that this was indeed rock that rap stole. She insisted that I had no clue what I was talking about. After changing the radio station a few minutes later, the original Aerosmith version came on... Shocked

I never saw a face drop so quickly into a pout in my life! lol! It was priceless! My sister never doubted me again. She still listens to crap after all these years, though. Laughing

Debbie
Back to top Go down
Manarocks

Manarocks

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:24 pm

What a great era for music mid 70's till mid 80's
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 1:12 pm

Ms. M wrote:
(C)rap sucks. Cool

I may have found my new sig - with permission, of course.

Cat
Back to top Go down
Jrny1
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Absolutely agree....80's ROCK!!!! rendeer farao farao
Back to top Go down
http://www.ToadstickerProductions.Com
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Holy shit--I saw JRNY1's avatar and almost passed out.

affraid
Back to top Go down
nolliD JJ

nolliD JJ

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Virginia sniper wrote:
Holy shit--I saw JRNY1's avatar and almost passed out.

affraid

Steve, me too! Shocked

I guess he's a rockin'kindaguy Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rafferty4
journeywoman

journeywoman

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 8:20 pm

Jrny1 wrote:
Absolutely agree....80's ROCK!!!! rendeer farao farao
Holy Rockin Shit had to look twice!
Back to top Go down
Jrny1
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 9:25 pm

It made me so sick just seeing it, even I had to change....So I changed it to my other best friends.....

e- cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.ToadstickerProductions.Com
nolliD JJ

nolliD JJ

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 pm

As we say in Nigeria, "Holy Camel Dung"!

Now he's a melodic wombat! Shocked
Back to top Go down
nolliD JJ

nolliD JJ

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 pm

On a more serious note, yes the 80's were great. Musicianship and production values really meant something.

Here's an 80's type tune and performance from two great guitarists (even though the performance is from 1990). I feel this is a good example of the "80's feel":

Back to top Go down
NealIsGod

NealIsGod

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 8:03 am

Oh, shit. We can embed vids in this forum? Sweet!!!

One of my favorite '80's memories was the US Festival. Check this Scorpions performance out:

Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 9:45 am

NealIsGod wrote:
Oh, shit. We can embed vids in this forum? Sweet!!!

One of my favorite '80's memories was the US Festival. Check this Scorpions performance out:

Simply put---Kick ass video.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?   The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music? Empty

Back to top Go down

The 1980's arguably the best era for Rock music?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next