Only Real Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Only Real Rock

Classic Rock

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

70's Arena Rock top choice.

Go down 
+7
ohsherrie
belar
NealIsGod
Virginia sniper
journeywoman
Liam The Pariah
GOD
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GOD
Admin
GOD

70's Arena Rock top choice. Empty
PostSubject: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 5:08 pm

That's a tough question. I'd have to say that before Bonhams death Led Zepplin was a pretty tough live act to follow. Kiss is up near the top of the list for the time frame. But then you need to consider Bad Co., and The Who as well. King of the dance had to be Peter Frampton though. His Frampton comes alive album was a monster. Let's not forget the Eagles - The Long Run was a pretty huge album at the time.

Tougher Time Frame than I thought
Shocked
Back to top Go down
Liam The Pariah

Liam The Pariah

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 5:54 pm

GOD wrote:
That's a tough question. I'd have to say that before Bonhams death Led Zepplin was a pretty tough live act to follow. Kiss is up near the top of the list for the time frame. But then you need to consider Bad Co., and The Who as well. King of the dance had to be Peter Frampton though. His Frampton comes alive album was a monster. Let's not forget the Eagles - The Long Run was a pretty huge album at the time.

Tougher Time Frame than I thought
Shocked

Right on all counts. HOW ABOUT A LITTLE FOGHAT?? Laughing
Actually...was Aerosmith considered "Arena Rock" in the 70's??
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/annexrox
journeywoman

journeywoman

PostSubject: 70's   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:46 pm

You bet, Aerosmith was a big arena draw way back then.As was The Allman Brothers,Doobie Brothers and the list could go on forever.God,hmmm I miss those days.
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Agree on all counts so far. Gotta admit that KIZZ would be my #1 choice. Was a complete member of the KIZZ army although many others come to mind- Doobies, Boston,Fleetwood Mac,ELO,Eagles. Sweet times for me.
Back to top Go down
NealIsGod

NealIsGod

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 8:06 am

I remember getting into music when I was pretty young, listening to Top 40 radio riding to and from school every day. Saturday and Sunday mornings were reserved for American Bandstand and Casey Kasem's America's Top 40. I bought the 45" of Band on the Run when it came out - the first music I bought with my own money. Now I never pay for music... but I digress. Twisted Evil

The first artists I remember loving was Paul McCartney & Wings, Elton John (his early stuff), Heart, Queen, Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, and the Eagles. Then when I entered high school, it was all about Foreigner, Journey, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Ratt, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden and Van Halen, each group releasing a mammoth album that put them over the top. 1976-1982 was an incredible six years for rock, and as happy as remembering those times makes me, I feel an equal amount of frustration that I will never experience a musical era like that ever again. But as long as I have the recordings and boots, that era can live on forever. afro
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 8:29 am

1976-1982 was an incredible six years for rock, and as happy as remembering those times makes me, I feel an equal amount of frustration that I will never experience a musical era like that ever again. But as long as I have the recordings and boots, that era can live on forever.

Well said.
Back to top Go down
belar

belar

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 11:40 am

I'd have to go with Aerosmith and Boston as my favorite '70s bands. Zeppelin was also right there, but wouldn't they have to be considered a '60s band? Same with Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
journeywoman

journeywoman

PostSubject: music   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am

Yes Zeppelin was a 60's band but they put their best music out in the 70's literally paved the way for many rockers.Their music is timeless,go to a rock concert today such as Nickelback,before the concert they are playing Led to the audience before they come out on stage.And what really rocks the crowd is so stoked when Zep's music is playing the crowd are singing the songs and rockin before the concert ever starts.Like I said Timeless.Now let's look at Deep Purple and Uriah Heep now there were some cool bands.And of coarse does anyone remember Traffic?
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 9:43 am

I forgot 1 band from the 70's that put out probably the most amazing, progressive album of the time frame. ELO. That album (the name escapes me) was so far ahead of it's time it was just sick.
Back to top Go down
journeywoman

journeywoman

PostSubject: Name?   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 9:57 am

Electric Light Orchestra! Awesome band!
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:24 am

ELO absolutely. Mentioned in the 4th thread down. God sir, I will attempt to get the name of that album.
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 am

If memory serves, I believe it was "Out of the Blue" or something like that.
Back to top Go down
ohsherrie

ohsherrie

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 9:42 am

Virginia sniper wrote:
1976-1982 was an incredible six years for rock, and as happy as remembering those times makes me, I feel an equal amount of frustration that I will never experience a musical era like that ever again. But as long as I have the recordings and boots, that era can live on forever.

Well said.

Ditto. You guys are too young to remember it, but the only six years that I could compare to those are the ones from 1964 - 1970, but that's for the '60s forum. Wink
Back to top Go down
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 9:39 am

GOD wrote:
If memory serves, I believe it was "Out of the Blue" or something like that.

Out Of The Blue is a classic double album that is a perfect example of
where my love for symphonic sounds from the 70's comes from.
Other great albums from them were Eldorado, Face The Music,
A New World Record and Discovery.
I was huge into these guys back in the mid 80's Cool
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 9:58 am

So I guess the old bean isn't as bad as I thought. The album was Out of the Blue. Not too shabby. Welcome to the fray Moon.
Back to top Go down
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:10 am

Nope nothing wrong with your noggin.
Thank you kindly for the worn welcome (you said fray...get it?, I fit a funny in Laughing )
Back to top Go down
GOD
Admin
GOD

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:35 am

Glad you are here hanging out with us. What you think so far?
Back to top Go down
AR

AR

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet band I think are a very underrated arena rock act from the era. Of course I didn't get to finally see them in concert until the mid 80's, but the sheer amount of great songs they had was amazing and just a terrific live act at one point.

Not my favorite 70's act, but just one that isn't always brought up in discussion much.

Last edited by AR on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 1:10 pm

GOD wrote:
Glad you are here hanging out with us. What you think so far?

I'm liking it, always cool to see familiar folks like this guy afro around.
Nice seeing everyone here!
Back to top Go down
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 1:16 pm

It's a shuddering shame I haven't seen Bob Seger AR, I enjoy much
of his music.
My Mom was a huge fan and used to see him play back in his early days
at the University Of Windsor.
Back to top Go down
AR

AR

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Moon Beam wrote:
It's a shuddering shame I haven't seen Bob Seger AR, I enjoy much
of his music.
My Mom was a huge fan and used to see him play back in his early days
at the University Of Windsor.

Moon, I got the chance to see Bob Seger twice on the American Storm tour in 1986. Once from the front row. 2 of the best concerts I have ever been to and I have seen just about everyone.

Saw a bootleg from his last outing a year or two ago. Not the same. He's aged a lot and the show wasn't as powerful. Still looked like a decent show though.
Back to top Go down
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 1:32 pm

That's great to see AR, glad you were there in his earlier days!
I've heard a few of the new songs and I think he sounds good though
I'm sure there is less Fire Down Below where is vocals are concerned.
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 pm

Never had the opportunity to see Seger but I sure have had many cold drinks listening to him. Fun times indeed.
Back to top Go down
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Virginia Sniper my bellys shaking biggly over your siggy ending. lol!
Back to top Go down
Virginia sniper

Virginia sniper

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks Moonie-- That saying is from a friend on another forum. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 70's Arena Rock top choice.   70's Arena Rock top choice. Empty

Back to top Go down

70's Arena Rock top choice.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next